About the instructor
Ron Zima is a former cross-Canada radio / TV host and creator of IDLE-FREE for our kids™, a cause which began at his kids' elementary school in 2006.
After realizing his own IDLING habit was adding tons of avoidable emissions and contributing to poor air quality, Ron accepted the challenge by educators and students to develop a grassroots movement to inspire the public to go IDLE-FREE.
Since then, Ron and his team have transformed fleets and businesses to become IDLE-FREE champions, helping them reduce fuel use and carbon emissions while improving air quality in their communities.
They've enlisted auto executives and corporate sponsorships while attracting media and community partnerships. They've won endorsements from U.S. industry, and the Winter Olympics where their IDLE-FREE Bus transported the men's hockey teams.
That effort spawned ‘The Children's Clean Air Network’ (CCAN) a non-profit dedicated to public IDLE-FREE campaigns. This led to the creation of Ron’s social enterprise, GoGreen Communications Inc.
In the past ten years, Ron has become recognized as an expert on behavioural change, branding and public relations in the area of 'eco-driving' for corporate fleets.
GoGreen Communications Mission is:
To inspire and transform the way we live our lives for the benefit of future generations.
To practice and promote business for 'the triple bottom line': people, planet, and profit.
The Children’s Clean Air Network Mission is:
To reduce greenhouse gas and improve air quality by reducing vehicle emissions.
Other Facts About Ron Zima, IDLE-FREE Guy™
A father of two university-aged kids, Ron is originally from Edmonton, Alberta, now based in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
He was the original ‘Vee-Jay’ on network television in Halifax, as part of a ten-year cross-Canada broadcast career in TV and radio.
He’s had a successful sales and marketing career, notably helping build and market hi-tech companies such as the largest wireless distribution company in Atlantic Canada.
He’s had a transformative career in not-for-profit, leading PR and business development for The Salvation Army – Maritimes Division, gaining invaluable insight into ‘Corporate Responsibility’ (CR) and ‘cause-branding’.
He holds an advanced diploma in public relations (ADpPR) from Nova Scotia Community College (NSCC).
Ron Zima, IDLE-FREE for our kids™, The Children’s Clean Air Network
Professional drivers who take this eLearning will acquire knowledge, beliefs and habits that save fuel, while reducing carbon emissions and exhaust pollution, in both their personal vehicle(s) and work vehicle(s).
Earning an IDLE-FREE for our kids® certificate will demonstrate an individual’s commitment to ‘eco-driver’ skills. These skills are valued highly by corporate fleets seeking to:
Be seen as health and environmental leaders in business and the communities they serve.
Going IDLE-FREE can act as a ‘keystone habit’ for other eco-driving beliefs and behaviors: reducing speed, harsh acceleration and braking.
- Video 1.1 Module One: From IDLER to IDLE-FREE Guy
- Video 1.2 A Father’s IDLE-FREE Story
- Video 1.3 Why We IDLE
- VIDEO 1.4 IDLE-FREE: What I've Saved. Wow!
- EXHIBIT 1 Ron’s Chalkboard Savings Math (PDF)
- VIDEO 1.5 How to Earn Your IDLE-FREE Certificate
- Carbon Quiz 1: Why We IDLE, Two Reasons
- Carbon Quiz 2: What Did Ron $ave?
- VIDEO 2.1 Module TWO: Our Kids
- VIDEO 2.2 IDLE-FREE Kingswood Kids
- EXHIBIT 2: Is That Your Engine Running? by Carmelita Rowe (PDF)
- EXHIBIT 3: Is That Your Engine Running? by Carmelita Rowe (AUDIO)
- VIDEO 2.3 IDLE-FREE Poster Girl: The day we met Rachel
- VIDEO 2.4.1. IDLE-FREE Doctor Research
- VIDEO 2.4.2 AIR Quality, Critical for Kids
- VIDEO 2.4.3 Diesel, Gasoline Difference
- VIDEO 2.4.4 Asthma Epidemic..?
- VIDEO 2.5 IDLE-FREE Flash Mob!
- Carbon Quiz 1: The Diesel, Gasoline Difference.
- Carbon Quiz 2: Our Poster Girl
- VIDEO 3.1 IDLE-FREE Module Three: The Auto Experts
- VIDEO 3.2 IDLE-FREE Auto Experts: The Scoop on IDLE-Time
- VIDEO 3.3 IDLE-FREE Auto Experts: Restarts are Okay
- VIDEO 3.4 IDLE-FREE Auto Experts: Use Cabin Heat
- VIDEO 3.5 IDLE-FREE Auto Experts: Windows are COOL
- VIDEO 3.6 IDLE-FREE Auto Experts: Accessory Power
- VIDEO 3.7 IDLE-FREE Auto Experts: Let’s Clear the Air on Exhaust
- Video 3.8 IDLE-FREE Auto Experts: The Hybrid Myth
- Video 3.9 IDLE-FREE: Clean Air Kids
- Carbon Quiz 1: IDLE Myth?
- Carbon Quiz 2: The Hybrid Myth
- VIDEO 4.1 IDLE-FREE Module Four: The Numbers
- VIDEO 4.2 Fleets: Good and Bad IDLE-Time
- VIDEO 4.2.1 Fleet IDLE-Time: It Really Adds Up
- VIDEO 4.3 Parking lot IDLE-Time: It Really Adds Up
- VIDEO 4.4 Invisible Till Now - New York City’s 54 Million Tons of CO2
- Carbon Quiz 1: ‘Good’ IDLE-Time - Corporate Fleet
- Carbon Quiz 2: New York City’s Carbon Emissions in 2010
- VIDEO 5.1 IDLE-FREE Module Five: Words and Actions
- VIDEO 5.2 IDLE-FREE ACTION Tip: Start LAST, Stop FIRST
- VIDEO 5.3 IDLE-FREE ACTION Tip: Avoid Long Warm-ups
- VIDEO 5.4 IDLE-FREE ACTION Tip: Windows are COOL
- VIDEO 5.5 IDLE-FREE ACTION Tip: Waiting for Someone
- VIDEO 5.6 IDLE-FREE ACTION Tip: Traffic Delays
- VIDEO 5.7 IDLE-FREE ACTION Tip: Drive Thrus
- VIDEO 5.8 IDLE-FREE ACTION Tip: ‘Puffer Theft’
- VIDEO 5.9 WORDS: Positively Promoting IDLE-FREE
- VIDEO 5.10 IDLE-FREE Facebook Community
- VIDEO 5.11 IDLE-FREE Calculator Demo
- IDLE-FREE Calculator - Powered by Fleetmetrica
- VIDEO 5.12 Earning Your IDLE-FREE Certificate
- Form 2 IDLE-FREE Post Assessment